Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tracyanne, Denver's Ready To Be Heartbroken (A Concert Review)

Camera Obscura at the Bluebird Theater June 1, 2009 B

This was my first time seeing Camera Obscura and I was impressed with how well their music translated live, especially the material from their latest album, My Maudlin Career.

After observing that no one in the audience was struck by lightening on their way to the show (it was stormy outside), Tracyanne Campbell opened their set with the title track from their aforementioned album. Campbell, who seems simultaneously pensive and charming has a humble stage presence that's immediately endearing. Wearing a vintage velvet dress, she and band mate Carey Landers are almost doll-like as they sang pretty songs about love gone wrong.

French Navy, Honey in the Sun and Lloyd I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken were among my favorites last night, and the only gripe I had was that some (not all) of the slower songs really killed the momentum of the show from time to time. But overall, I enjoyed the show immensely and look forward to their next visit to the Mile High City.

No comments: