Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I See Dead People (A Book Review)

You've Been Warned by James Patterson & Howard Roughan - C

Last month I reviewed The Quickie by James Patterson & Michael Ledwidge, It was my first foray into the prolific world of James Patterson and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed that book. But I remained leery, yet curious about Patterson's mass market appeal. Was Patterson that good or was it novelty?

You've Been Warned starts off flat and somewhat similar to The Quickie. Our main character, Kristin Burns, is a nanny and aspiring photographer. She's having an affair with Michael, a successful businessman, and is repeatedly warned that she is heading down a dangerous path; Kristin sees and talks to the dead, gets long distance phone calls from herself, and has cockroaches underneath her skin. But none of this can stop her from pursuing what she desires most, Michael.

This book reads like a bad Sharon Stone movie, but there's enough of a hook to keep you (morbidly) curious and guessing.

No comments: