Monday, January 2, 2012

Confessional Blogging & Dieting (Book Reviews)

Publication Date: November 2011
Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee - Megan Boyle B+

This book sparked my creativity, and provided a lot of writing prompts. Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee is funny, relatable, and a little sad. It's like reading the secret life of the pretty girl you see in class or at the office, but never speak to. Lately, I've been listening to Juliana Hatfield's new album (There's Always Another Girl), and I've decided that Megan Boyle might be the literary equivalent. Hatfield's first solo album, 1992's Hey Babe, was an impressive, confessional, debut full of hooks and self-doubt. The album garnered plenty of attention; yet, it was her next album, 1993's Become What You Are, that really put her on the map. If this book is Boyle's Hey Babe, I can't wait to read what's next.
 
Publication Date: December 2005 
The Sonoma Diet - Connie Guttersen C+

The Sonoma Diet is intriguing because much of the food it encourages is food I already eat on a regular basis. Yet, I have the sneaking suspicion that it's nowhere near as easy as it sounds. I don't doubt that it works, but who wants to give up sugar, wine and cheese for ten days? I will however, incorporate some of these practices and recipes into my daily routine. This book (we have the hardcover & audio version) covers all the bases, provides helpful nutritional insight and motivates me to improve my diet just in time for the new year. Unfortunately, I don't have the willpower to commit to any diet 100%, but doing half a diet (along with exercise) is better than nothing at all.

No comments: