Monday, January 30, 2012

My Gray Morning's Sundance Wrap-Up

* Sundance Award Winner

*The Law In These Parts 101 minutes D
Apparently, I didn't understand this award winning doc about Israel, Palestinians and the occupied territories post war 1967. It was over my head (and frankly, a little boring). But congratulations to these courageous documentarians nonetheless.

Payback 82 minutes C
A documentary about social inequality, based on the book by Margaret Atwood.  I liked the idea, but hated the execution of this documentary.  The information and images are presented in a way that's confusing and slow building.

*Young and Wild 90 minutes A
Loved this film! A young nympho comes of age and enjoys bacon and tofu.   

Corpo Celeste 98 minutes C+
RW had to explain parts of this one, because I know nothing about catechism and Catholics.  Good acting by a young actor.  Slow start, strong ending. 

Red Hook Summer 130 min C-
Spike Lee's new, overlong, sprawling mess... But it was a great Q & A afterwards.

V/H/S 104 minutes  B-
Normally, horror flicks aren't my cup of tea, but I have to admit that this one had me on the edge of my seat!  Annoying, intriguing, and if you have a weak stomach, eat afterwards and not before.

The Pursuit of Loneliness 96 minutes B-
A slow black and white film about loneliness and death.  Not for everyone, but oddly likable. 

Shorts Program III

DOL (First Birthday) 12 minutes A-
A gay couple in the closet, but the kids are alright  

The Fort  12 minutes B
About a weird kid in the woods

Frozen Stories 26 minutes B-
At this point I was really tired...

L Train 11 minutes A  
and I cried...

Rolling On the Floor Laughing 19 minutes  A-
A family gathering that goes horribly wrong.

Surveillant 17 minutes B-
I kept waiting for something dramatic to happen... it never did.

No comments: