Thursday, January 19, 2012

First Impression Music Reviews - Kathleen Edwards, Wilco & the Indigo Girls

Released January 2012 
Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur B+
I absolutely can't get enough of the book-end tracks on this album.  It opens with an Empty Threat, and ends with a declaration that, For the Record, "I only wanted to sings songs."  After one listen I was ready to declare this (her fourth album) the best yet, but that would have been premature.  It is however, the best album of 2012, so far... Favorite Tracks- Empty Threat, Change the Sheets, For the Record.

Released September 2011
Wilco - The Whole Love B+ 
Intially, I had a hard time wrapping my head around this one, despite some undeniable hooks and the eclectic sounds.  Truth be told, I've lost a little love for Wilco and I don't know why.  Once, I considered them one of the most vital acts in music, now I feel like they have outgrown me.  Their welcoming the whole love with open arms, and without the trepidation I've come to know and love.  Nonetheless,  The Whole Love gets better and better each time I spin it. Perhaps, this old flame is worth rekindling. Favorite Tracks- I Love My Label, Art of AlmostOne Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)

Released October 2011
Indigo Girls - Beauty Queen Sister B-
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the Indigo Girls are one of the most underrated acts in music history.  Last October, critic Bill Clifford wrote that they can "certainly be considered along side the likes of Simon & Garfunkel, Hall & Oates and the Everly Brothers," and I couldn't agree more.  It's been almost 25 years since the independent release of Strange Fire, their first album.  These ladies are still making music that moves me, and telling stories that need to be told. Favorite Tracks- Feed and Water the Horses, We Get to Feel it All, Birthday Song.          

No comments: