Wednesday, January 1, 2014

12 Years a Slave - Movie Review

12 Years a Slave (R) 134 minutes B
The Passion of the Slave

Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender, Lupita Nyong’o, Sarah Paulson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Brad Pitt, Alfre Woodard, Paul Dano and Paul Giamatti

A couple of years ago I had to read the Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass: An American Slave for a history class in college.  I remember being angry, appalled and amazed by what I read.  That book extracted some of the sting from watching 12 Years a Slave.  Directed by Steve McQueen and based on Solomon Northup's 1853 memoir, 12 Years a Slave is a story that needed to be told.  However, it's not that type of film I can describe as being "good," nor do I care to see it again.  That being said, it's worth seeing for the acting and for the history lesson.

No comments: