Sunday, January 26, 2014

Found, Found, Found (Music Review)

Released May 2013 
Trouble Will Find Me - The National A
 
In 2007 a friend introduced me to The National and their buzzworthy album, Boxer. I gave it a couple of spins and immediately dismissed it because, "I couldn't get into it." At the time, I didn't know that if I looked up the term "growers" in the dictionary I'd find the discography for The National. Their albums aren't immediately accessible, but once they sink their teeth into me I'm smitten.  I bought their 2010 album,  High Violet because I liked the song "Bloodbuzz Ohio" and all the glowing reviews made me curious. After a couple listens to that album it clicked in a major way. On a cold, gray morning in late December 2010, I was driving to a coffee shop on sobo (south broadway). Out of nowhere I felt tears begin to rise to the surface of my eyes as I listened to frontman Matt Berninger sing "You must be somewhere in London/You must be loving your life in the rain/ You must be somewhere in London/Walking Abbey Lane" from the song "England." High Violet went on to be my number one album of 2010 and Trouble will Find Me picks up where High Violet left off. On "Demons," Trouble Will Find Me's second track, Berninger croons, "I don't know what's wrong with me/the sour is in the cut/When I walk into a room I do not light it up, f*ck!" -My feelings exactly.
Favorite tracks: "I Should Live in Salt," "Demons," "Slipped" and "I Need My Girl."
 

No comments: