Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Broken English - Movie Review

Broken English (PG-13) 97 minutes B

Starring Parker Posey, Melvil Poupaud, Drea de Matteo, Justin Theroux, Gena Rowlands, Peter Bogdanovich, Tim Guinee, and Josh Hamilton

Caveat - I just had a nice dinner and one too many glasses of wine. So I thought I would sit (and I just opened another bottle of wine) and write a completely brilliant and witty review for Broken English. So here it goes...

Back in the late 70's (or there about), musician Joe Jackson wrote a song called It's Different for Girls. Sometime during the mid 90's Chris Isaak wrote a song called Pretty Girls Don't Cry. These two songs remind me of how some girls will never experience the type of loneliness that I have felt... even when their lonely, it's a different type of loneliness. Chris Issak sang "pretty girls don't cry, they know exactly what to do."

In the film Broken English, Nora Wilder (Parker Posey) is a pretty girl, but she doesn't know it. Some would say that's the best kind of pretty girl. But the down side is, she doesn't know she's pretty, so she thinks she's crazy.

This film is all about a girl... excuse me, a woman, trying to find love. I don't want to make too many assumptions about the main character because (obviously) I've never been a woman. But I can speak about being in my late 20's/early 30's and being the "single guy". Essentially, Nora is the "single girl" (translation= something is wrong with you because you haven't found a man), and she's not having any luck finding Mr. Right.

In the real world there are many reasons why beautiful people can't find love... and in this film it is evident why Nora can't find love. People these days have so many preconceived notions of what love should feel like, look like and be like. Yet, does anyone really know? Sure, there are some core values/rules when it comes to love but for the most part it should be observed on a case by case bases. Half the battle is timing and luck. Love is one of life's biggest mysteries, but that's part of what makes it so incredible yet so painful.

When you analyze Broken English, one can run through a gamut of cliches such as; love yourself first, there's more to life than being in a relationship, don't sleep with him on the first date, yadayadayada... But what I took most from this film is that my loneliness might be different from her loneliness, but it all hurts the same.

I liked Broken English but it's not for everyone. It's a little talky, and it definitely has that "indie" feel. The feelings may not resonate with all of you as it did with me. But I think this film is a decent character study of a person desperately wanting to be loved, hating her own desperation, and being in love with love. It's not all wine and roses, but sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a bigger frog that is more financially secure :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Really quickly, I want to say that I'm a huge Michael Vick fan! He's one of the most exciting athletes on the planet. But, if what they say is true, it's not only sick, it's despicable! If he did the crime, he must do the time.

It's easy for me to say because I'm not in their shoes, but If I was a millionaire I think I could find plenty of hobbies that don't involve murder, maiming, and abuse. Jesus! What's the appeal in seeing animals beat the sh*t out of each other? I've seen some freaky sh*t, but damn bro! Vick can do most anything he wants and this is what he gets off on...?

For anybody else that has so much money that they don't know what to do with, or your thinking about investing in a dogfighting or cockfighting ring. I'll save you the money and the jail time, just send your cash (check or money order) to Curtis, c/o of My Gray Morning @ Blogspot.com.

"For birth control I rely on my personality." - Milt Abel

No comments: