Monday, July 2, 2007

Sicko - Movie Review

Before I get to the movie reviews, I have to say that I had a laudable 35th birth anniversary yesterday. I am appreciative and lucky that I have so much love in my life. I am truly grateful and thankful, despite my occasional gloomy disposition.

Yesterday was capped off with a delectable meal at the Vesta Dipping Grill. Some of the sexy dipping sauces we tried included Pistachio Mint, Grilled Onion Jam, and Spicy Ancho.

My weekend was mellow, and I felt like a killjoy for not wanting to do much. I guess I had a lot on my mind and I admit that I spent a great deal of time pondering my vitality. As we all continue to mature, the world grows more and more surprising in every extreme. The older we get, the greater the fear. I will continue to be humbled, thankful, pessimistic, and a dreamer.

Sicko (PG-13) 113 minutes B-
Starring Michael Moore

I consider Michael Moore's films to be educational, I think that large amounts of people (especially young people) should see his films. Moore always hits upon critical points and touches a nerve, but perhaps he goes a little overboard with his sarcasm and japing. That being said, I can't blame Moore for his tone. Today's society is all about one-up-man-ship, and us versus them mentalities. So many people will take a film like Sicko personally, it's too bad that those people can't see the film for what it is... an alarming and depressing look at Health Care in America.

Not that this is a political film, but Moore's politics scare and anger people. If this film had been made by a no-name director, and without Moore's wit, editorialism, and politics... you'd have a less entertaining film, but you'd also have an Oscar nominated documentary.

My only knock on the film is that it feels longer than 113 minutes. Even though I'm not giving this an A or a strong B, this film worth checking out.

----------------------Bonus DVD review-------------------------------------

This Film is Not Yet Rated (Not Rated) 97 minutes B
DVD release date January 23, 2007
Starring Kirby Dick, John Waters, Kevin Smith, Matt Stone, Kimberly Peirce, Darren Aronofsky, Atom Egoyan, and Maria Bello

To conclude my weekend of documentary film, I recommend the charming This Film is Not Yet Rated. Who knew that the American movie ratings board was so interesting and scandalous. Plus, I didn't know that Private Eye's still existed for anything other than spying on cheating lovers.

This is a good rental!

No comments: