Thursday, February 12, 2009

Fashion Disaster

I know the economy is causing a lot of people to cut back, but if you can afford to go shopping (for new clothes) now is the time. It's a bit out of character for me but I've been shopping 3 or 4 times in the last 2 month. My wardrobe sucks, and it's my own fault because I mostly shop at thrift stores, Ross, TJ Maxx, Old Navy, and similarly cheap stores. But lately I've stepped it up and ventured out to the mall.

I'm finding some incredible deals, a couple weeks ago everything I bought (a pair of corduroy pants, polo shirt, hat, and pullover) was all at discount prices. Tonight I found a pair of $80 dress slacks for $15 (they fit great!) along with other deeply discounted clothing (the theme/goal tonight was "dressy"!).

Problem is, my sense of fashion has gone to the dogs. It's hard to believe that I was once a stalwart believer of my own unique and personal style. I was always dressed to kill at every occasion and I felt good about myself. Nowadays I can't seem to mix and match my wardrobe if my life depended on it. My closet is a bunch of drab individual pieces waiting for a compatible companion piece- that certain shirt or pair pants that will make the nonactive clothing come alive!

Granted, my sense of style has evolved... but I don't feel like I have a solid fashion identity. It's a little pathetic but sometimes when I'm shopping I depend on that young and hip sales girl whose up on the latest fashion trends (because she doesn't think I'm a day over 30), or the well-dressed cougar with Mrs. Robinson type tendencies (she knows men and what looks good on me), or even the young, clean cut, dude with model looks (yes-he's gay), who can inform me of all the fashion dos and don'ts for straight men.

Anyway, dressing up seems to be my biggest problem. Most of the time I can rock some jeans and a button down (and/or sweater). It's that "cool, causal, dressy, I look great without putting much thought and effort into it look" that I can't seem to recapture. Then again, does it even matter any more? Who knows... but looking good feels good and compliments never hurt.

No comments: