Monday, February 16, 2009

He's Just Not That Into You - Movie Review

He's Just Not That Into You (PG-13) 129 minutes A
The rules (and exceptions) of loving & longing in Baltimore

Starring Ben Affleck, Jennifer Aniston, Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Connelly, Kevin Connolly, Bradley Cooper, Ginnifer Goodwin, Scarlett Johansson, Kris Kristofferson, and Justin Long

So this is one of those films that most critics panned but I loved. Romantic comedies were my first love in films, so I'm a bit of a sucker for funny, introspective, and smart ones... even if their a little sappy and contrived. Perhaps I had my blinders on but I was totally into this film.

Mick LaSalle of the San Francisco Chronicle is one of the few critics that I found who liked the film, he brought up two excellent points in his review. He claimed that "Scarlett Johansson's Woody Allen exposure has paid off: In just a few years, she has become a deft comic actress." Which is interesting because at times I thought that the film displayed a certain Woody Allen"esqe" quality.

LaSalle also went on to say that "somebody in Hollywood has tried to make a thoughtful movie about love, and that rarely happens anymore. Let's take it and like it." To that I say, amen brother!

No comments: