Monday, February 2, 2009

Good Looking Man About Town & the Boss

Look whose on the cover of the latest issue of Filter magazine (on newsstands February 13).

Morrissey's new album drops on February 17th, and perennial music snobs and hard-ass music critics, Pitchforkmedia, has already declared it "his most vital, entertaining, and savage record since 1994's Vauxhall and I." I'm stoked! And I'm sure it'll be one of the best albums of 2009.

Bruce Springsteen also has a new album out, one that might be worth buying if only for one song - The Wrestler (from the film of the same name). I was a little disappointed with the last two Springsteen albums I bought (Magic and Devils & Dust), making me a little leery of buying this album- whose title sounds like a political slogan and an album cover more fitting for an American Idol runner-up.

The Pitchforkmedia review of Working On A Dream recalled similarities to The Rising, which wasn't a bad outing. But the review also goes on the say that "Queen of the Supermarket may be the worst thing he's ever written", and that "Springsteen doesn't seem to know what to do with himself."

When or if I get the album I'll let you know (whether it's worth the effort)... but only if, you're really interested.

No comments: