Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Once - (An Advance Screening) Movie Review

Once (R) 88 minutes A
Starring Alaistair Foley, Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová, and Geoff Minogue

Once is an ode to a girl, and perhaps one of the best music films ever! This is an endearing, inspiring and quietly sad film. It is one that reminds me how shitty a writer I really am; I can't begin to describe how magical this film is. I simply want to write- "Best film of the year so far (PERIOD!)"

Maybe it just caught me on a vulnerable day...? Early on in the film, during their first duet, I had to fight back the tears. At that point I knew this was going to be something special.

In retrospect it almost felt like an 88 minute music video and love story rolled up in one. But it's much more than that, and not your typical musical. This is a near perfect blend of romance and song.

"He" had someone he couldn't forget and "She" had someone she could barely remember. Together they had each other, broken vacuum cleaners, broken hearts ...and lovelorn songs to sing.

Winner of the world cinema dramatic audience award at this year's Sundance, this small gem is well worth a trip to the theater. It's currently out in limited release, but check your local listings!

No comments: