Sunday, May 27, 2007

Waitress & Disturbia - Movie Reviews

Waitress (PG-13) 104 minutes B+
Starring Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, Cheryl Hines, Adrienne Shelly, Jeremy Sisto, Andy Griffith, Eddie Jemison, and Lew Temple

Waitress is a delightful and highly enjoyable film. Written and directed by the late Adrienne Shelly (who was murdered last November), it is a well served slice of life film. Jenna (Keri Russell) is a waitress at a small town diner located off the main highway. She's a pie making genius, and trapped in a dreadfully unhappy marriage. When Jenna needs a mental escape, she closes her eyes and invents new pies in her head, for example:"I Hate My Husband Pie" made with bittersweet chocolate. Her husband (Jeremy Sisto) is a total jerk! He's one of those characters that if he was a real person, I'd kick his ass.

What makes Waitress so enjoyable is its subtle and offbeat humor, along with a well-balanced blend of humanistic emotion, romance and comedy. Little things in the film stuck with me long after I left the theater, and although the ending is a little contrived, under the surface the film has plenty of heart.

Disturbia (PG-13) 104 minutes C+
Starring Shia LaBeouf, David Morse, Sarah Roemer, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Matt Craven

Disturbia is a pretty entertaining film. It's not one that will stick with me after leaving the theater, but it was well worth the price of admission (I only paid $2.50). I suspect that the teenage type will enjoy this film more than I did, but that doesn't mean it was bad. The film grabbed me from the get-go, and Shia LaBeouf was an excellent choice to play Kale, the film's protagonist.

After the death of a family member (I won't give away which one) Kale descends into a downward spiral which lands him under house arrest. He's befriended by the new hot chick that just moved into the neighborhood, and together they discover that they may or may not have a serial killer living next door. The films feels a little long but there are a number or suspenseful moments along with a couple laughs here and there.

No comments: