Monday, March 17, 2008

Amber Headlights, Emotional Trash, Amerykah


Greg Dulli is the f*ckin man! Today I picked up his solo album from 2005, and the new Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks album.

I admit that I loved Pavement, but I don't have the same love for Stephen Malkmus solo. I have all of his post-Pavement albums, and I like them all, but I don't feel the same affinity for his solo stuff as I did for Pavement.

His latest offering sports the best album title of the year so far, Real Emotional Trash. I love that title! This album features Janet Weiss (from Sleater Kinney) on drums, and her presence elevates the Jicks to the next level. The band sounds great!

It's probably too early for me to give this an honest review right now (I've listened to it once from start to finish), but this has the potential to be his best effort yet. There's a cool retro vibe throughout the album and after one listen it's not so much the songs that stand out as much as the music itself.

Speaking of retro sound, I also got a copy of the new Erykah Badu album last week. I'm not sure if I like the album title- New Amerykah, Pt. 1: 4th World War, but after a couple spins it sounds pretty good.

An album cover and album title that I absolutely adore is Greg Dulli - Amber Headlights (see above). Dulli is so cool. His one and only solo album is Amber Headlights, the cover and the title is totally Dulli- sexy, sleazy, seedy, and brutally honest. Dulli sings about things that men are afraid to say- "I use to feel love/now I want to hurt you real bad" (from "Early Today").

Many of you Dulli/Twilight Singers/Afghan Whigs/ fans know that this album was shelved after the death of his friend Ted Demme. Amber Headlights is the material he was working on before that tragic event- supposedly this album is "unfinished" and some critics have called it a "B-side collection" and "demos". But call it what you will, after one listen I was very, very pleased and happy with what I heard. After one listen I can already tell you I like this better than Black Love.

"Everything I want is either illegal, immoral, or fattening.
- Alexander Woollcott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the MP3 e MP4, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mp3-mp4-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.