Sunday, March 16, 2008

Asking For Flowers


I picked up the latest album by Kathleen Edwards this weekend. Asking for Flowers is her fourth disc (if you count Live from Bowery Ballroom), which was co-produced with Jim Scott.

I've listened to the album about five or six times now. It doesn't venture to far from Failer and Back to Me, but this album hasn't hooked me like those two albums did.

Critics have said this is her best album yet, and unfortunately I disagree. Flowers is a solid outing by Edwards but it lacks the piss and vinegar of her earlier efforts. Hopefully I will grow to like this album more in the coming weeks.

In other music news...

Kimya Dawson plays The Bluebird on April 22nd. I can't wait! Lately I've been itching to see a rock show and this should be great one!

2 comments:

Nobo said...

Seriously. You're actually going to see Kimya Dawson? I don't think I could handle more than a few minutes of that. Not that I don't like her... just small doses.

But anyway, I agree, though I've only listed to the K. Edwards album once through so far. BUT, I am going to see her on April 5th. The last time I saw her was in 2003, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Nobo said...

Well - a few weeks later, and a lot more listens, and I am as fond of the new album after all as I was of the others. Just in a different way. She put on a good show the other night too.