Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lenny's Love Revolution

It Is Time For A Love Revolution is the latest album by Lenny Kravitz. The jury is still out on this one, but I already like it much better than his last album, Baptism.

Baptism isn't horrible, but it's probably my least favorite Kravitz album, as well as his worst album cover and worst hair style (see album cover and liner note photos).

After two spins Love Revolution is very catchy. The tracks Love Love Love and Will You Marry Me are undeniably funky and stood out right away. Kravitz sounds rejuvenated and fresh despite the nagging criticism that his lyrics are weak- "It's getting heavy/But I'm ready/To take on this world and rock steady" (Bring It On).

I admit, his lyrics do seem kind of sophomoric sometimes... but this dude can rock! The retro guitar-funk-psychedelic sound echoing everything from Zeppelin to the Stones is sweet when he does it right. But he also gets a little too sappy sentimental on tracks like A Long And Sad Goodbye- "Papa you meant the world to me/Why did you abandon me".

All in all this album has the potential to really grow on me as well as crack my top 5 favorite Lenny Kravitz albums...

5. Lenny
4. Let Love Rule
3. Circus
2. Are You Gonna Go My Way
1. Mama Said

"I'm weak and I've gone hazy, I'm crazy for that lady"
- Lenny Kravitz

No comments: