Sunday, March 30, 2008

Snow Angels - Movie Review

Snow Angels (R) 106 minutes B+
Decaying lives in a small town
Starring Sam Rockwell, Kate Beckinsale, Michael Angarano, Griffin Dunne, Amy Sedaris, and Olivia Thirlby

Snow Angels is sad and depressing, but that doesn't mean it's a bad film. As a matter of fact, it's a very good film. A film that I wish more people would see because it's a reminder that life isn't always a happy ending. It's also a reminder of how precious love is in its purest form- young love.

*****Bonus DVD Review
The Notorious Bettie Page (R) 100 minutes B-
Nude, Naive, Nice
Starring Gretchen Mol, Chris Bauer, Lili Taylor, Jared Harris, Jonathan M. Woodward, Sarah Paulson, David Strathairn, and Cara Seymour. DVD release - September 26, 2006

I liked this film... it's very charming. But dammit it left me with cinematic blue balls! It's very incomplete and ends much too soon. Bettie Page led an interesting life and this film only tells us three quarters of the story.

*****Book Event
Lisa Daily at the Tattered Cover
Friday night I went to Lisa Daily's book signing at the historic Tattered Cover downtown. Lisa was promoting her debut novel Fifteen Minutes of Shame, which I proudly have an autographed copy of.

Initially I wasn't sure what to think of Lisa or her new book. But the world renown relationship expert and infamous debutante http://www.thedebutanteball.com/ was one of the nicest, coolest, and most down-to-earth authors I have ever met. We chatted briefly about writing and she gave me her card (so I can interview her for one of my class projects). We're BFF now.

She also offered to make me a guest debutante if I was interested (apparently John Grisham was a guest debutante)... but I politely declined.

No comments: