Tuesday, March 11, 2008

In Bruges - Movie Review

In Bruges (R) 107 minutes B
No Country for Hit-men

Starring Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Clemence Posey

Before seeing this film I didn't know that Bruges is in Belgium, nor did I know how to pronounce Bruges (as evident at the ticket window when the girl snickered after I mispronounced it). In the opening scene of the film, Ray (Colin Farrell), also admits to not knowing where Burges is... at least not until he is sent there to lay low after a botched murder attempt in London.

Ray and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are Dublin hit-men that are ordered to flee to Bruges after a hit goes wrong. The idea is to chill out for awhile until everything blows over. Ken is the older, wiser, more seasoned hit man, while Ray is young and restless.

Ken views this unexpected getaway as a time for sight-seeing and taking in the city's history and culture. Ray on the other hand hates being in Bruges and feels very emotional/guilty about what happened in London. That is, until he meets a dwarf and a beautiful girl named Chloe (I've never met an ugly girl named Chloe).

Colin Farrell is actually pretty good in this film, and Brendan Gleeson is excellent! It's basically their movie to make or break, and though I had my doubts at first, both actors performed wonderfully. Ralph Fiennes is also in this film as Harry, the boss. You'll either love him or hate him in this somewhat limited role... but he is an intriguing character and unlike any other I've seen him portray.

In Bruges started off a little slow, and I was a little suspect of the two main character (Ken and Ray) at first. But other than a few odd references to black people (which weren't that big a deal), and some bloody scenes near the end, this was an excellent movie! One that I highly recommend if you like subtle humor/dark comedies.
************************************************

In other news- My name is Curtis, and I am addicted to breakfast burritos. I can't stop eating them. At night I dream about them, and in the morning they call my name... they say, "Curtis come hither... eat me!" I especially love the ones with sausage and green chili. But I told myself, no more! I must cut back!

So today I went to the grocery store and bought healthier alternatives for breakfast (oatmeal, fruit, cereal, etc...) because breakfast is when it's most tempting. I mean, don't get me wrong, I sometimes have them for lunch as well. But I hate starting off my day feeling guilty that I just ate a heart stopping, belt busting, erection killing (ok, that's a bit extreme), breakfast burrito smothered in pork green chili and cheddar cheese!

I'm replacing that addiction with another one; Flamin' Hot Funyuns! Have you guys tried those? OMG! Yum.

I discovered them a couple weeks ago at 7-11, and now I can't find them anywhere! I googled them today and found other people who are ga ga for Flamin' Hot Funyuns. There's Christar in Salt Lake, and some dude in San Antonio. I must get my hands on these zesty onion flavored treats! Their curiously delicious!

No comments: