Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The Bank Job - Movie Review

The Bank Job (R) 110 minutes B+
Jason Statham breaks on through to the other side

Starring Jason Statham, Saffron Burrows, Stephen Campbell Moore, Daniel Mays, James Faulkner, Alki David, Michael Jibson, and Richard Lintern

The Bank Job didn't sound like a movie I'd want to see, and Jason Statham isn't an actor that draws me to a film. But this is his magnum opus. The Bank Job is a very good heist movie that doesn't try too hard to be a heist movie.

Set in 1971 London, this motley crew of bad guys with good hearts tunnel their way into a London bank vault. But little do they know, their in for more than they bargained for.

The film is done with a delicate restraint and stylish direction. Based on a true story, The Bank Job is one of the best films of the year so far...
************************

Today is the big day! The release of Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings, the new album by the Counting Crows.

Now there's no secret that I love the Crows. There's something about Adam Duritz's lyrics that touch me profoundly. During some difficult times the Crows helped me rise above.

August and Everything After is one of the best albums of all time, yet it was Recovering the Satellites that helped me through some very dark days. Songs like Monkey, Have You Seen Me Lately, Catapult, Good Night Elizabeth, Long December, Walkways, and Recovering the Satellites, spoke to my seclusion, my alienation, my shame, my regret, and my loneliness.

Speedway from This Desert Life reminds me of leaving. Running away from it all. One of those things I've thought about and fantasized about all my life but could never do.

Counting Crows music is personal to me. There's a connection with the things being said. That's why I want to vomit and spit fire when they do sh*t like that f*ckin Shrek song.

After two listens, Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings sounds great! I love it! I think this is going to be one of their best albums yet. Intially it reminds me of a cross between Recovering the Satellites and Across the Wire Live In NY, with touches of This Desert Life and Hard Candy. This is partly due to the 1/2 loud (Saturday Nights), 1/2 quiet (Sunday Mornings) concept.

This is the best album of the year so far, hands down! Then again, I might be a little biased.

"I don't want to feel so different, but I don't want to be insignificant"
- Adam Duritz

No comments: