Sunday, April 15, 2007

Albuquerque

I had a strange dream last night. I dreamt that I was awakened by the sound of music. I was groggy and disoriented, and when I finally gathered myself I realized I was in a strange medieval castle. I followed the sound of music to find Carol Van Dijk and the rest of her band (Bettie Serveert) working on a new album. Carol was laying on an air mattress, writing something in a notebook. She was wearing baggy gray cargo pants and a white tank top. There was a dense haze that filled the castle... like fog or smoke. I said to Carol - "I know we're close to Canada, and I know you've told me before... but where are we?" She looked at me as if she can't believe I'm asking this stupid question and replies - "Albuquerque." I feel dumb and find my way back to my room.

Movie Reviews
The Hoax (R) 115 minutes B

Starring Richard Gere, Alfred Molina, Hope Davis, Marcia Gay Harden, Stanley Tucci, Julie Delpy, Eli Wallach, and John Carter

A good film that had sort of a flimsy feel to it. Still, I liked the performances by Richard Gere, Hope Davis, and Alfred Molina. Inspired by true events, these films always drive me crazy because I wonder how much is real and how much is sensationalized. But it's usually a good thing when I walk away wanting to know more.

Bonus DVD Review
Come Early Morning (R) 97 minutes DVD release: March 20, 2007 B

Starring Ashley Judd, Jeffrey Donovan, Diane Ladd, Tim Blake Nelson, Scott Wilson, Laura Prepon, and Ray McKinnon

I really wanted to like Lucy (Ashley Judd), I thought that she was a strong but misunderstood woman. Judd does a great job here, as does Joey Lauren Adams (Chasing Amy) who writes and directs this film. Come Early Morning is a small, intimate, and gritty look at a women who is trying to find herself in a small town with big baggage.
*Nominated, Grand Jury Prize (Dramatic), 2006 Sundance Film Festival

"Alimony is like buying oats for a dead horse." - Arthur Baer

No comments: