Thursday, July 9, 2009

Eternally Grateful (A Music Review)

First Impression Review Sonic Youth - The Eternal B+

Somewhere I read that The Eternal sounds like a collage of old Sonic Youth albums. There is some truth to that but it's not a bad thing. This album reminds me of SY circa 1995... It's loose, intelligent and fun as hell. I can't wait to see them perform these songs live, they're sure to be completely mesmerizing at full volume with beer in hand.

Once again SY demonstrates why they are one of the most influential, innovative and important bands of our time.

1 comment:

Music Bigot said...

I think your brief review is spot-on. SY has a long history, which makes it easy to put their new music in context against their best work. I agree that the new disc is certainly worthwhile, especially at high volume.