Sunday, July 26, 2009

Ya Gotta Lovett (A Concert Review)


Lyle Lovett & His Large Band at Red Rocks B

It's been 15 years since the first time I saw Lyle Lovett live. That concert remains one of the top 3 concerts I have ever seen. His performance that night was legendary; it was like seeing Elvis in his prime (or so I imagine). The first song he played that night was Just the Morning from the album I Love Everybody. Road to Ensenada was not yet released and I think he was dating Julie Roberts. He played a new song that night called That's Right (You're Not From Texas) and I thought my head was going to explode- the song was amazing! And it's still one of my favorite songs to hear live.

Tonight he also debuted some new material and it too was phenomenal. I have to admit, I was a slightly underwhelmed by the last two albums (It's Not Big It's Large & My Baby Don't Tolerate) but after tonight's show I am stoked about the new album coming out in October. The only disappointment of the night was that he only played one song (Penguins) from I Love Everybody. An album that has overtaken Joshua Judges Ruth as my favorite Lovett album. Yet his ever present wit and undeniable charm make it impossible for Lovett to put on a bad show. The standout songs tonight - That's Right (You're Not From Texas), Closing Time, Keep it in Your Pantry and Walk Through the Bottomland.

No comments: