Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Sister's Keeper - Movie Review

My Sister's Keeper (PG-13) 106 minutes C+
Genetically engineered to make you cry

Starring Cameron Diaz, Abigail Breslin, Alec Baldwin, Jason Patric, Sofia Vassilieva, and Joan Cusack

I haven't read the novel which this film is based on, nor do I plan too. But I have to hand it to Jodi Picoult for coming up with an original story that raises interesting questions about moral, ethical and legal issues concerning genetic engineering.

The first half of this film is nothing more than a Lifetime movie of the week, it wastes no time immersing you into the family's drama and the result is a feeling of apathy. But halfway through the film things start to get a little strange, a little funnier, and the movie becomes better for it.

Although he annoyed me at first, the catalyst for this change may have been Jesse (Evan Ellingson), the dyslexic brother who appears to be a meaningless character until we begin wondering if he's a druggie, street hustler, gay, or suicidal?

The most impressive roles here were turned in by Alec Baldwin and Joan Cusack, although the two sisters (Abigail Breslin and Sofia Vassilieva) are pretty adorable. I somehow managed not to cry during this film but I admit that I came close several times.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great review! I have to agree I have not read the book and don't plan too. If the movie makes the book look bad then they should have nothing to do with each other. I haven't seen "My Sister's Keeper" but I have heard it is a great movie. I just ordered it on Blockbusters site and should receive it any day now! As an employee for DISH I can say that we are giving 3 months free of Blockbuster to new customers that come to DISH. You get unlimited movies, games and TV shows through the mail and 5 in-store exchanges with the new promotion. http://bit.ly/kzed79