Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pete Yorn Prolongs Pain We Will Deal with Eventually (A Music Review)

First Impression Review
Pete Yorn - Back & Fourth B

"Gotta let the boy have his way, 'cause he can't seem to drink it away" sings Pete Yorn on the opening track called Don't Wanna Cry. This album finds Mr. Yorn introspective and perhaps a little sad. He's conflicted, his feelings are back & fourth... love her, leave her, either way he can't stop thinking about her.

This is an easy listen unlike the sometimes brilliant sometimes scattered-brained Nightcrawler. Some of my friends will say this album is boring or a bit one dimensional, but I like to think that it's honest and endearing. There's just enough misery here to keep me happy although at times it's a thin line between Yorn being sensitive and just sounding wimpy.

After about 3 or 4 listens I've surprised myself by falling for one of the oddest tracks on the album, the strangely titled Social Development Dance, while Paradise Cove, Close, and Country flirt with breaking my heart every time I hear them.

This is a good outing and maybe his best since Musicforthemorningafter.

No comments: