Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Idiot Girl's Book Event

Laurie Notaro at the Tattered Cover - July 15, 2008
Her new book- The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death

I had been looking forward to the Laurie Notaro event at the Tattered Cover for weeks. I arrived early, grabbed a couple of her books to thumb through, and snagged a good seat. The audience was largely made up of women, and when Laurie Notaro walked into the room the enthusiastic crowd cheered and clapped with fervor. It practically demanded an immediate response from the author, and before she could be properly introduced she addressed the audience. From that moment it was evident that she would own the night.

For the next hour she had these women laughing so hard I swear I heard a couple of snorts amongst the merriment. Notaro seems like a talented author, but on this night I simply wasn't buying what she was selling. I think that most people would have found this event very enjoyable. But I felt like it didn't cover any new ground. Her witty, neurotic and self deprecating humor is easy to identify with, but as I sat there and listened to her it all sounded too familiar. Suddenly I had the urge to read a book that was completely different than what Notaro had to offer.

Judging from her fans she is definitely worth reading, and perhaps in December I will get around to reading An Idiot Girl's Christmas (to put me in the holiday spirit). But tonight she just wasn't doing it for me.

No comments: