Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Sex and the City - Movie Review

Sex and the City: The Movie (R) 135 minutes C+
The thrill is gone, but the memory remains
Starring Sarah Jessica Parker, Kim Cattrall, Kristin Davis, Cynthia Nixon, Chris Noth, Jennifer Hudson, and Lynn Cohen

Many of you have already seen this film, and many more will see it on DVD. So better late than never...

If Sex and the City was a band, the film version would be their major label (album) debut. The HBO years (from 1998 to 2004) would be them as a popular indie band paying their dues, building a loyal following, and buzzing into the mainstream as "the next big thing" and pop culture icons.

Switching to a major label almost certainly means selling your soul and sacrificing your art (to a certain degree). Like many major label debuts, Sex and the City: The Movie is glossy, overproduced and filled with fluff. Yes, it has its moments, and your sure to find a couple of gems that rivals their best work. But something is missing... the intimacy? the personal connection you once felt? the 1 hour episodes?

It's like that best friend you haven't seen in years, and now that their back- you've grown, they've grown... but in different directions. You'll always remember the good times, but now in 2008 neither one of you are the same person.

Ditto for Sex and the City: The Movie.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Illness (it makes me sad and pensive)

When people say "live life to the fullest", or "live everyday like it's your last", I know what their saying... but I think it's corny. If I lived everyday like it was my last, I'd probably be dead, homeless, or in jail.

For me, maybe living life to the fullest is blogging, going to movies, concerts, reading, watching football, eating, etc...

Am I living life to the fullest? Or am I just existing? Sometimes it's hard to tell.

I recently got the news that someone I love very much is ill. Of course my thoughts and prayers are with her, and I hope she will be ok... but the news made me reevaluate the whole living life to the fullest thing. What if I died before I ever published a book or accomplished something substantial and relevant.

What if? What if?

It scares me when death gets this close. I'm paralyzed with fear and drowned by my own stagnation. It's like those dreams when your running as fast as you can but your barely moving at all.

I can only hope that this is a false alarm- an overreaction? Maybe this is god's reminder that life is precious. Live life to the fullest- but within reason...

No comments: